The challenge is designed to identify best-in-class technology that combats global, political and corporate corruption and promotes good governance
London, 23rd February 2018: C5, the investment specialist firm focused on cloud computing, cyber security and big data analytics, announced today the shortlisted candidates for the first Shield in the Cloud competition. The challenge, which is supported by Amazon Web Services (AWS), PeaceTech Lab, and SAP NS2, has been created to bring together the best and brightest minds working in anti-corruption technology.
A panel of expert judges – including Patrick Garver, formerly Executive Vice President and General Counsel for Barrick; Andy Powell, Head of Product Management, Eduserv; Moira Andrews, Director, Praetor Consultants; Andre Pienaar, Founder, C5 and; Kurt Scherer, Director, Booz Allen Innovation Center – carefully assessed each of the 61 organisations that connected with the challenge, to select just 24 candidates across three categories for the shortlist. The full list of shortlisted companies can be seen below.
Andre Pienaar, Founder, C5, said, “Shield in the Cloud is the first global innovation challenge to combat corruption and terrorist financing worldwide. The public cloud provides unprecedented opportunity to innovate, scale and strengthen good governance, everywhere. We were delighted to see the scale and pace of innovation in so many innovative applicants in the challenge. We were honoured to meet so many leaders and entrepreneurs who are determined to fight organised crime, terrorist finance and corruption to protect their countries and communities, often against the odds.”
Georgina Callander, Director, Cloud Leadership Centre, said, “The variety of ways in which companies, charities and governments are innovating to increase transparency and to combat corruption is fascinating, and each of these candidates showcase a cloud-based tech-led initiative which has the potential to become a benchmark among peers and across different industries.”
The winners of the first Shield in the Cloud challenge will be announced at a Gala ceremony in Washington DC on 27th February 2018. The winners will be given AWS cloud credits and granted a place at the PeaceTech Accelerator in Washington D.C., where they will further develop their products under the guidance of C5, AWS, SAP NS2 and PeaceTech Lab mentors. As part of the eight-week accelerator program, they will be supported by a highly experienced group of prominent international technology entrepreneurs, business leaders, investors and peace innovators. Best-in-class technical training is delivered by AWS solutions architects.
The shortlisted companies are:
Category: Dream Big
- Annona is a web based platform that allows global suppliers to manage their farmer supplies and payments, as well as aggregate crop production
- Pole Star, PurpleTRAC regulatory technologies offer a comprehensive sanctions compliance screening and vessel tracking solution for organisations that have exposures to shipping and cargoes and need to know who, what and where they are trading with at all times
- MyndGenie uses information and communication technology to empower community projects and deliver value at scale
- TISC Report is the world’s largest Open Data Register committed to ending Modern Slavery and supply chain labour abuses
- Element42, Management Solutions Pvt Ltd an innovative solution that offers advanced protection against document frad and forgery and has wide applications across industry segments
- Mark Labs provides a platform for both nonprofits and their donors to understand and communicate their social impact data in real time
- hiveonline is a financial trust platform that supports small businesses and sustainable investments
- SQREEM helps organisations understand the Unknown Unknows through on-demand articifial intelligence and cognitive learning
- Yooz Money is a platform that lets users send money to India from the UK simply and securely
- Start Network is a network made up of 42 aid agencies across five continents, with the aim of delivering more effective emergency aid
- The Bitfury Group develops and delivers the software and hardware solutions necessary for businesses, governments, organisations and individuals to securely move an asset across the Blockchain
- Transparencia Brasil is a non-profit entity that committed to enhancing the integrity of public institutions. Its mission is to improve integrity, accountability and fight corruption in the Brazilian government
- Charity:water is a non-profit organisation bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing countries
- TransGov leverages Ghana’s Open Data Initiative (GODI) to enable citizens to monitor and comment on the implementation and progress of developmental projects in their local communities
- Ushahidi was originally developed to map reports of violence in Kenya after the post-election violence in 2008. It is now a social enterprise that provides services and software to help improve the bottom up flow of information
- Policentric is a platform that offers constituents with the technological tools they need to keep their elected officials accountable through education and data dissemination
- Search for Common Ground partners with people around the world to ignite shared solutions to destructive conflict
- Epic Foundation provides giving solutions to make it easier for individuals and corporations to support high-impact social organisations tackling youth and children issues globally
- TransparentBusiness helps companies to manage their remote workforce by digitising the work process
- ProZorro Sale, Transparency International, Ukraine was created to ensure the transparent, fast and effective sale of liquidated banks’ assets as well as the prevention of corruption
- CityGrows is a cloud platform that allows local governments to manage permitting, licensing, surveying and other services online, for free
- State Agency for E-Governance of Ukraine – the government of Ukraine uses a System of Electronic Trading in Seized Property, or SETAM, to auction seized property, which was moved onto an Exonum Blockchain to enhance citizen trust in the system and provide an extra layer of security.
- FixMyCommunity, National Democratic Insitute (NDI) lets citizens instantly report problems they see to the local government, such as potholes, graffiti or broken streetlamps
For press enquiries contact: John Merva and Emily Jones at C5Capital@hudsonsandler.com
About C5 C5 Capital Limited (“C5”) is a family capital-backed technology investment firm focused on innovating security. C5 is a specialist investor in private businesses in technology, global security and data sectors, and niche sectors such as cyber security, biometrics, detection, and communications companies based in Europe. C5 Capital Limited is a venture capital firm specialising in providing growth and equity capital.
The investment team is led by experienced executives who are known for their performance, resilience, agility, discretion and integrity. Their work is enhanced by a unique network of strategic partners known for their leadership in the fields of technology, industry, geopolitics, academia and government.
C5 builds long-term partnerships with committed investors who share a passion for creating value by investing in security, innovative founder teams who want to grow their businesses to their full potential and global companies who want to maintain an edge with innovation. C5 tailors its investment approach to the unique needs of each situation, and we are comfortable investing across the life cycle of our target sectors.
C5 Cyber Partners is a specialist investment team dedicated to private equity investment in EMEA-based cyber security companies and venture capital investment in data analytics companies.
C5 Cloud Partners is an investment vehicle focused on cloud computing-focused companies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
C5 Accelerate has developed a Cloud Accelerator Cluster in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa alongside Amazon Web Services. Its mission is to accelerate best-of-breed startups throughout EMEA to meet the growth opportunity being created by the geographic expansion of AWS, the world’s leading cloud computing platform.
Headquartered in London, C5 also has offices in Washington D.C., Bahrain Luxembourg.
For more information on C5 Capital, please visit: www.c5capital.com