Executive Director, C5 Accelerate, Washington, DC, USA
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
The Executive Director (“ED”), along with the relevant core team, is tasked with the success of C5 Accelerate’s Washington DC-based accelerator programs. This opportunity affords high visibility and responsibility as the Executive Director leads the core team, supports early-stage companies through the program, manages a portfolio of early-stage investments and tracks portfolio performance, and acts as an ambassador for the program in the local ecosystem. The Executive Director is responsible for managing the operations and the execution of the accelerator program as well as the day-to-day management of the office. The Executive Director is also tasked with identifying new streams of revenue through customized accelerator programs.
- High energy, extroverted candidate who can operate independently and opportunistically to deliver results;
- The successful candidate will be comfortable with adopting a variety of responsibilities and operating under a minimal amount of direction;
- The candidate will be a hands-on problem-solver who takes personal responsibility for delivering high-quality outcomes;
- He/ She must possess a bias for action and a growth-oriented mindset;
- He/ She must demonstrate a willingness to learn, good judgement, and comfort in tackling new problems are a must;
- A love of tech and the startup ecosystem are critical. Personal presentation and discretion to represent the C5 brand is also essential.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Recruiting, onboarding, and managing cohorts of 6-10 startups for the accelerator program twice per year;
- Overseeing investments in incoming cohort companies, including preparation of deal documents and maintenance of investment documentation for portfolio companies;
- Onboarding program participants and ensuring that the due diligence process is correctly delivered;
- Day to day management of the accelerator program, including facilitating sessions on Lean Startup, Go To Market Strategy, and Investment Readiness;
- Management of the mentor network, including scheduling mentors for a wide variety of different sessions throughout the cohort;
- Organising accelerator programs across all the relevant stakeholders and ensuring that it runs to schedule;
- Supporting and enabling participating businesses where possible with advice on business modelling, strategy planning, sourcing, and marketing;
- Supporting the development of relationships of mentors as well as both local and global sponsors;
- Managing the in-house relationships on a day to day basis between C5 and its partners and sponsors, for example, AWS, and SAP NS2;
- Supporting the team in fostering interest and support for the programme and its mission through creating and maintaining a network of high-level communications contacts with media outlets, governmental agencies, international organizations and other relevant stakeholders;
- Developing and maintaining the institutional memory and archive of the program;
- Preparing reports against set metrics on the success of the program;
- Communicating and managing upwards, providing regular reports to the COO of C5A based in London.
Key skills and requirements
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ degree or equivalent;
- Experience working with startups, with a preference for experience working in support of startup business development and/or fundraising efforts;
- Experience in tech communications and outreach within a fast-paced project;
- Excellent organisational and verbal communication skills;
- Management experience;
- Clear, concise and compelling writing skills;
- Professional manner and ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality;
- Ability to work proactively and with self-direction and to maintain a broad, global network of high-level contacts;
- Hands-on and detail oriented;
- Ability to work in the United States;
- 2 solid professional references;
- 5 to 10 years of work experience.
About C5 Accelerate
C5 Accelerate is a London, Washington D.C. and Bahrain based technology investment firm. It supports cloud-enabled technology companies through its two accelerators in Washington D.C. and in Bahrain. It focuses on impact technology, including fintech, cyber security, cleantech and agritech to stimulate financial inclusion, diversity and economic empowerment. www.c5accelerate.com
To apply: Send a Cover Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 29 March 2019.